EXPERIENCE 1 – STUDY ABROAD – BEAUFORT, LUXEMBOURG (Feb-May 2016)

In the spring of 2016 I wanted to take full advantage of the french immersion courses I had been studying since the age of 5. Typically, I would play hockey from sept-march every year but 2016 was an exception. In November of 2015 I broke my radius and ulna in a hockey game which required surgery and a 3-4 month healing process which took me out for the season. Because of this I had the chance to sign up for the exchange program and move to Luxembourg for 3.5 months. The experience was life changing as I got paired with the best host family I could ask for and they toured me around multiple countries in Europe during the exchange. I also went through high school at “Lycee classique Diekirch” and had the authentic experience of going through school in Europe. As I reflect on this trip, I realize it is what first shifted my consciousness to see the world through an inter-culturally competent lens.

EXPERIENCE 2 – BACKPACKING – SOUTH EAST ASIA/SOUTH AMERICA (Sept 2019 – Feb 2020)

Following my highschool graduation I felt lost and unsure of what my future will hold. I was working full time as a server at Red robin when my friend approached me with a proposal of backpacking South east Asia for 2.5 months. I jumped at the idea and booked my ticket later that month. The trip ended up being 3 people, my friend, his girlfriend and myself but we met so many interesting characters along the way. We started in Thailand and explored the Jungles up north, the city lights in Bangkok and finished at the turquoise beaches down south. The next month we jumped on a planed and flew west to the capital of Vietnam, Saigon. From here, we took scooters and overnight busses to make our way to the very north of the country where we ended the trip in Hanoi. Vietnam, while still being catered towards tourists felt like much more of an adventure than Thailand as there was an increased language barrier and more limited options for tourists compared to Thailand. Nonetheless the 2.5 months in South East asia were unforgettable and opened my mind to so many alternative ways to live a fulfilling lifestyle.

2 weeks before my adventures in South east Asia ended my father said he had research to do for his post doctorate degree in Santiago, Chile and asked if I would be able to accompany him down there! Wow, what an opportunity to see a new part of the world and share some quality bonding time with my father. Although I was tired and looking forward to sleeping in a real bed for the first time in months I knew a couple more months of stinky hostels wouldn’t kill me and the memories would last a lifetime. While we were there, my father was able to conduct his research in chile, but we also had the opportunity to explore Argentina, Bolivia, Peru and Uraguay. Many of the days my father had work to do in the hostels we were staying at but that was okay with me. I had learned enough skills during the prior 2 months in Asia to be confident at finding tours, places to go and using local public transportation. Overall, this is and will be some of my favorite memories with my father that I will cherish for the rest of my life

EXPERIENCE 3- GLOBAL SKILLS OPPORTUNITY – ZARAGOZA, SPAIN (May 2022)

This experience felt like a miracle that came out of nowhere right at the tail end of the covid-19 pandemic. My friends and I had heard of a fully funded exchange program that seemed to good to be true so we went to TRU world to get more information. When we found out that everything we heard was true we were ecstatic and jumped at the opportunity. While in Spain we worked closely with the university CLP Salduie and took classes related to sports, audio/visual studies and marketing from monday to friday. On the weekends we had the chance to do small cultural explorations to the cities of Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona. The trip helped my interpersonal skills grow after a long period of social isolation during the pandemic we were able to socialize and make friends with university students from across the globe.

EXPERIENCE 4 – STUDY ABROAD – KYOTO SANGYO UNIVERSITY, JAPAN (Aug 2022 – Aug 2023)

At the end of my second year of university I elected to Study abroad in Japan for 2 full semesters at Kyoto Sangyo University. Being born in Japan and spending brief periods of my life travelling back there to visit family I had already known that Kyoto was one of the most magical cities in the world. Located in the heart of the Kansai Region in Japan, the city had been the imperial capital of the country for hundreds of years and was abundant with historic sites. There were temples and shrines on every street and people were celebrating new traditional festivals every month. In addition to this, the second largest city in Japan, Osaka, was only a 45 minute train ride away, known for skyscrapers, shopping and entertainment, extraordinary cuisine and vibrant nightlife. I felt extremely spoiled being located in Kyoto for my year abroad.