Indig Peoples Comp Perspective ANTH 3280

Interculture/Cross-Culture Com CMNS 3510

Intro to Cultural Geography GEOG 3200

ST: South Asian Culture ANTH 3900

Religion and Society ANTH 4150

Intercultural Communication Studies TESL 3030

People and Cultures of the North American Arctic ANTH 4040

By having my concentration in Anthropology and Minor in Global Studies and Languages I have had the opportunity to take many classes that have contributed to global competency. As part of my degree, I took part in the Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) program. Throughout this program I worked with many international students and learned how to communicate effectively despite potential intercultural differences (TESL 3030, CMNS 3510). My Anthropology classes have exposed me to various ways of living , frames of mind and politics that can be found globally. Both ANTH 3280 and ANTH 4040 stressed Canada’s colonial impact on the indigenous populations within our own country and strategies we can incorporate to our lives in order to reconcile with these wrong doings. ANTH 3900 and ANTH 4150 had a large emphasis on learning about the culture in south Asia, East Asia and the Middle East. We would explore various topics such as religion, politics, media, gender relationships and Diaspora communities which gave a rather encompassing view of the regions we explored. Finally, Cultural Geography looked at how the environment influences the culture and vice versa. In this class, I read a book specifically on Palestine, and how the land is deeply rooted in Palestinians identity. All of these courses have given me a more comprehensive understanding of the world and have taught me to be more open minded and culturally understanding of our differences.